Cooking live this Wednesday June 21st, at 6:30pm! Buy the ingredients below and follow along. Visit my Facebook page to join in the fun. https://facebook.com/dadscancooktoo
Inspired by http://frenchcookingfordummies.com/2013/zucchini-spinach-bacon-soup/ and chosen by my daughter, Ainslie! This is a quick, easy, gluten-free, and delicious soup for those weeknights when nothing sounds good. Throw a few ingredients in a pot and voila!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 25 minutes
Ingredients (for 6 servings)
- 4 summer squash (yellow or zucchini), about 3 pounds
- 1 bag of fresh spinach, about 1/2 pound
- 4 shallots, or 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 thick strips of bacon or pork belly
- 4 strips of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel shallots (or onion) and dice.
- Peel squash and cut dice in large pieces.
- Rinse spinach.
- Dice 4 slices of bacon.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Remove 1/2 bacon and set aside on a paper towel.
- Add shallots, squash, garlic, and a pinch of salt to the bacon in the pot. Saute until ingredients start to brown.
- Add the spinach and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the water, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cut the thick strips of bacon in halves. Once water is boiling, add bacon and let it boil gently for 15 minutes.
- Remove thick strips of bacon and set aside.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper as needed
- Cut the thick strips of bacon to bite sized pieces.
- Serve the soup and garnish with the boiled and crispy bacon.
- Enjoy with a nice crisp Rose and fresh bread.