For this recipe you only need to know how to use a sharp knife, skewers, and a grill. Can’t get much easier than that. I called this chicken stir-fry because of the marinade I used, General Tso’s stir-fry sauce and a Sweet & Sour sauce, but feel free to use any marinade, even just olive oil, salt, and pepper comes out great.
2 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 Red, Yellow or Green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium zucchinis, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
Pre-heat grill to medium-high (between 300-400 F)
- Starting with a piece of bell pepper, skewer the ingredients alternating between each item. Involve the kids and make it a learning moment with patterns.
- Cover the skewers entirely with the marinade. Don’t forget to get it on every piece. I’ve found it easier to marinade after skewering since if done before those pieces can get really slippery and hard to handle.
- You can cover and place in the fridge for up to an hour. If you read my previous cooking post you’ll know why that’s enough time.
- Place on hot grill and sear every side (Searing will lock in the flavor)
- Continue grilling each side for about 5-8 minutes until slightly firm to the touch and you don’t see any uncooked chicken
- Baste with any extra marinade as you rotate the skewers
- Remove from the grill and serve on top of rice
- Add a side salad and you’ve just created a tasty and healthy meal